Saturday, January 15, 2011

5 months isn't too far away....



The first weekend in May always hosts one of my favorite childhood memories: The Kentucky Derby.  Growing up so many girls find themselves enamored by the world of horses, at some point in their lives I think all girls add a pony to their Christmas list, beg their mothers for riding lessons and spend long afternoons galloping around the backyard on the back of their "trusty mount" which in reality strongly resembles a broom, yard stick or some other four-legged stand in.

Usually as the years go by the pony dreams are slowly replaced by other obsessions: boys, make up, summer romances, school dances.... However for a few of these girls the love of horses never gets outgrown, I have always been one of these girls. So as I grew older my fascination grew from cheering in front of the TV one Saturday afternoon in May to excitedly researching months in advance to find potential contenders.

Somewhere along the way a favorite will present itself to me and I will wholeheartedly support my new equine crush. Sometimes it is the underdog story that captures me, sometimes its the tall favorited mount, sometimes its the trusted trainer that I find myself falling back on, and sometimes its the jockey who holds so much of the race's outcome in his hands that obliges me to devote my loyalty (*cough* Mike Smith *cough*).


For the last couple of years I have been lucky enough to live within driving distance of Oaklawn Park in Hot Springs, AR to be able to experience the world of horse racing up close and personal. I love going to the races, arriving early and watching the morning workouts, looking around at all the interesting characters that are also track junkies, and being able to meet so many amazing people.

I realize that May is 5 months away and starting a countdown to the derby might be slightly premature but I can barely control my excitement, so here we go. The following are Kentucky Derby Prospects I will be watching over the next couple of months not really in any order yet:
 - Uncle Mo: owned by Repole stable, trained by Todd Pletcher, he had an impressive win in the Breeders Cup Juvenile, He is out of a sprinter and some doubt he can be a strong contender in the longer races but I think is he on his way to proving himself with the win at the Churchill Downs in November. He is rumored to be starting his 3 year old season at the Tampa, FL track (in the Tampa Bay Derby 3/12/11).

- Sway Away: owned by Batman Stable, trained by Jeff Bonde, he is mostly on this list because of his daddy (Afleet Alex) who was one of my favorites, I'm excited to see what he does, so far only raced once with a second place finish. He is rumored to be running in the Holy Bull at Gulfstream Park (1/30/11). Eventually they are looking at the Santa Anita Derby later on in the season.
photo from gradedstakes.com

- Jaycito: owned by Zayat Stable, trained by Bob Baffert, Mike Smith has been up on him lately, although he finished 7th in the Breeder's cup juvenile, he usually comes in 1st or 2nd. They are looking into having him race in the Santa Anita Derby later on in the season.


Some races to watch:
- Smarty Jones Stakes (Jan. 17) Oaklawn AR
- Holy Bull Stakes (Jan 30) Gulfstream FL
- Rebel Stakes (Mar. 19) Oaklawn AR
- Louisiana Derby (March 26) Fair Grounds LA
- Illinois Derby (April 2) Hawthorne IL
- Santa Anita Derby (April 2) Santa Anita CA
-  Florida Derby (April 3) Gulfstream FL
- Wood Memorial (April 9) Aqueduct TX
- Arkansas Derby (April 16) Oaklawn AR

No comments:

Post a Comment